KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
"Ramon D. Gavarrete" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:07:42 +0000
***This Email is Being Blind Copied to All Commissioners***

Ms. Huey,

I understand your concerns regarding the dust that occurs naturally with dirt or limerock roadways.  Currently, the County does not have a dust control program for County-Maintained Graded roadways.

As for paving, since 2016 – 2017, the Board of County Commissioners has allocated General Fund (Property Taxes) dollars towards road rehabilitation projects.  For FY 2017, the Board allocated $3,000,000 and this amount has grown to approximately $3.7 million for current year.  In 2016, the Board also amended its Comprehensive Plan to facilitate straight milling and resurfacing projects on our roadways.  In FY 2022, the Board increased its allocation from the General Fund towards road rehabilitation projects by an additional $4 million dollars.  Unfortunately, even with this funding, our infrastructure needs greatly exceed the available funding.  Gas Tax revenues are utilized to fund the County’s transportation departments and Road & Bridge regular maintenance operations, including mowing, tree trimming, potholes, guardrails, limerock “dirt” road grading, street sweeping, bridge maintenance, and many other everyday maintenance operations.  There is a portion of the Gas Tax that can only be used for new roadways, or improvements along existing roadways, that would allow for increased capacity on our roadways.  Unfortunately, this portion of the Gas Tax cannot be used for maintenance operations due to Florida Statutes. Additionally, now three years ago, the Board adopted the Stormwater Assessment that is now allowing Stormwater crews not only maintain, but also reopen historic drainage-ways around the County.

Furthermore, thanks to the voters approving the Infrastructure SurTax, and the Board’s decision to allocate approximately $7.6 million (see above paragraph) from General Fund (Property Taxes) in addition to 70% of the 2nd half of the Infrastructure SurTax towards the County’s Pavement Management Program. On May 23rd, 2023, the Board of County Commissioners approved the County’s Transportation Capital Improvement Program (TCIP).   The estimated value of the program (2023 – 2032) is estimated at $241.9 million dollars, including roadway surface improvements, signals, pedestrian facilities, and major bridge maintenance.

However, the voter-approved Infrastructure Surtax (Wild Spaces Public Spaces) has been allocated towards the newly adopted County’s Transportation Capital Improvement Program (TCIP) which is primarily a pavement management system.

As for paving of limerock roads, the Board has not authorized any new road segments to be paved or chip sealed, unless the cost is paid for directly by the property owners or through an improvement district.  This the only available mechanism to either chip seal or pave a current limerock roadway.  I am copying Mr. C. Perry Peeples, Real Property Coordinator, with this email and I am asking him to provide you with the procedure to request the establishment of Special Improvement Districts (SID).

Sincerely,

Ramon D. Gavarrete, P.E.
Public Works Director
Alachua County Public Works
5620 NW 120th Lane
Gainesville, FL 32653
Direct:  (352) 548-1214
Fax:  (352) 337-6243
Cell:  (863) 381-6875

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F. S. 119). All e-mails to and from County Officials are kept as public records. Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address, may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.

[cid:AC_logo-150ppi_b0554e81-2d50-477d-8264-0219cbd8ac34.png]<http://www.alachuacounty.us/Pages/AlachuaCounty.aspx>     Ramon D. Gavarrete, PE
Public Works Director/County Engineer
Public Works
5620 NW 120th Lane • Gainesville • Florida • 32653
352-548-1214 (office) • (863) 381-6875 (mobile) • (352) 337-6243 (fax)
[cid:Home2_44a3d51e-b983-4237-8082-72394e0032c7.png]<http://www.alachuacounty.us/Pages/AlachuaCounty.aspx>  [cid:fb_logo_150ppi_9dd00851-99d8-4342-8932-10cac01030c6.png] <https://www.facebook.com/AlachuaCounty/>   [cid:twitter_150ppi_9c3d56ae-20c9-4509-b852-4aaed5522edd.png] <https://twitter.com/alachuacounty>   [cid:insta_150ppi_5be81f1b-b06b-49ca-b309-54edd0545f55.png] <https://www.instagram.com/alachuacounty/>   [cid:youtube_150ppi_0da7ed3a-56a8-459c-b04c-ed8dfa1a388a.png] <https://www.youtube.com/user/alachuacounty>   [cid:county_news_150ppi_14250fe5-78c3-4aa5-b059-283cc85fd4ea.png] <https://alachuacounty.us/news/Pages/Category.aspx?Category=Community%20Update%20Newsletter>

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S.119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials and County Staff are kept as public records. Your e-mail
communications, including your e-mail address, may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.