KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Leah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:57:10 -0400
Good morning,

My name is Leah Cohen, representing the Agricultural Justice Project,
writing in support of the commission adopting the ceasefire resolution.

I would like to speak in particular about its intersection with the work
this commission has invested in to build a resilient, local food economy
that nourishes all those in our community.

   1.

   The borders and checkpoints of Israel are used to control and harass
   Palestinians, many of whom are forced to seek precarious and
   exploitative work in Israel
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://jewishcurrents.org/palestinian-workers-israel-far-right__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGO5O40Oa$ > while
   their own economy is strangled by the occupation and blockade. The ILO
   reported in 2023
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_norm/---relconf/documents/meetingdocument/wcms_883198.pdf__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGGvKWdOK$ >
   that about one fifth of the West Bank labour force was employed in Israel,
   often paying labor brokers high fees to obtain jobs. About 40,000 work
   without legal documentation, making them particularly vulnerable to
   exploitation and abuse. This pattern is familiar across the imperial and
   colonial powers, but resonates particularly strongly with the labor regime
   of US agriculture, where most farm workers are immigrants from south of our
   border and lack legal status in the US.
   2.

   As violent ethno-nationalist sentiments, which threaten hopes for a
   future of peace and justice, are stoked in Israel and Palestine, this
   serves to dehumanize the people of Palestine to justify their
   extermination, removal, and exploitation, so too do these same dynamics
   play out here to justify the inhumane conditions we permit in our food and
   agricultural systems that disproportionately harm people of color.
   3.

   Food as a human right: Israel is using salvation as a strategy of war
   against the people of Gaza, while simultaneously continuing a decades long
   practice of strangling Palestinians’ access and control of their own
   agriculture, fishing, and water (GRAIN, October 2023
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://grain.org/en/article/7046-the-palestinian-people-have-a-right-to-their-lives-land-and-sovereignty__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGHO269KB$ >),
   creating desparte dependence on charity food aid, which is also being
   violently targeted.  “...the entire population of about 2.2 million
   people in the Gaza Strip is estimated to be in Crisis or worse, the highest
   percentage of people experiencing such acute food insecurity that the IPC
   has ever classified for any given area or country.” (FAO Brief to the UN
   Security Council, February 27, 2024
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fao.org/newsroom/detail/gaza-in-a-briefing-to-the-un-security-council-fao-calls-for-immediate-cessation-of-hostilities-and-restoration-of-humanitarian-space-to-eliminate-the-risk-of-famine/en__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGDefRMn_$ >
   )

All of these are in violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
including the right to freedom of movement, the right to free choice of
employment, to just and favorable conditions, the right to equal pay for
equal work, without discrimination, and the right to just and favorable
remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of
human dignity.

None of us can tout human rights and food sovereignty as worthy goals in
our work towards building food systems that can sustain communities in
Alachua County, US, and globally and ignore the use of root causes that
block achieving this.

The Agricultural Justice Project calls for an immediate, permanent
ceasefire in Gaza and an end to occupation and violence in Palestine.  As
we call for an end to the violence in Gaza and urgent delivery of aid to
relieve the immense human suffering, we also call for solidarity in
standing against state violence, oppression, and exploitation everywhere.
This is your opportunity to uphold the values you have stated for our own
community.

With hope for peace through justice,
Leah Cohen

--
Check out our new public education project website here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.whosevoiceismissing.org/__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGKeEH_e_$ > and on IG

*Fair From Farm to Retail, *
*for All Who Labor in Agriculture and the Food System*

Leah Cohen
General Coordinator
pronouns: she/her

Agricultural Justice Project
PO Box 5786
Gainesville, FL  32627
919.809.7332
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.agriculturaljusticeproject.org__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGCpfm2lq$

Like us on Facebook
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/Agricultural-Justice-Project-137375486313912/__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGBLXtRa6$ >
Follow us on Instagram <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.instagram.com/agjusticeproject/__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGDtoKD2L$ > &
Twitter <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/foodjusticecert__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!WbOxJWuzgLQl8nPUg-E5lcsIqYdiU0F-buBM-6-_xTpA_XZdSMiBeZ6XAxaGfhQAhNYheaSSuYTr_5Yz11hTvVHmGHSFLCP_$ >

*Note:*  We moved. Please update our mailing address in your records!