From: Simone Mansfield <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2024 1:11 PM
To: BOCC (Only Commissioners) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sanitation Issues at Alachua County Jail

Dear Alachua County Commissioners,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention serious sanitation issues that have been repeatedly occurring in the Alachua County Jail, specifically in Pod 1H.

This morning, there were reports of black worms and sewage coming out of the shower drains. This alarming incident was witnessed by officers who entered the pod and confirmed the presence of these unsanitary conditions. This is not an isolated event, as similar issues have arisen at least three times in the last four months.

In addition to the problems with the shower drains, there are also significant concerns regarding the quality of drinking water. Inmates have reported finding black specs in the water from the drinking fountains. When officers were shown this issue, it was dismissed as a residue from the cleaning solution used on the fountains.

The recurrence of these issues highlights a need for immediate attention and a thorough investigation to ensure the health and safety of all inmates and staff. These conditions are unacceptable and require urgent remediation.

I urge you to address these concerns promptly and implement measures to prevent their recurrence. Ensuring a sanitary environment is crucial for the well-being of everyone within the facility.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt action and response.

Sincerely,

Simone Mansfield

To unsubscribe from the MARIHELEN-WHEELER list, click the following link:
http://listserv.alachuacounty.us/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=MARIHELEN-WHEELER