Miami Conference on Global Democracy — Apr. 18

MIAMI CONFERENCE

ON GLOBAL DEMOCRACY

THURSDAY, APRIL 18 • 11 AM – 3:15 PM

FIU MMC, SIPA II 102

Presented in collaboration with the Jarl Hjalmarson Foundation and Freedom House

Join the conversation as we explore the phenomenon of contemporary democratic backsliding on a global scale. Guest speakers and expert panels will explore how waning public support for democracy, economic inequality and social tensions, populist politics, external pressures from great power competition, and the weakening of political institutions and processes have all contributed to a steady decline in democracy worldwide. What lessons can we draw to strengthen democracy across the globe?

PROGRAM

Welcome Remarks: Shlomi Dinar, Dean, Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs

Panel One: Defending Democracy in an Age of Sharp Power

Introduction

Mitzi Uehara Carter, Department of Global & Sociocultural Studies

Panelists

Christopher Walker, National Endowment for Democracy

Glenn Tiffert, Hoover Institution

Alina Polyakova, Center for European Policy Analysis

Eric Lob, Department of Politics & International Relations

Moderator

Jessica Adler, Department of History

Luncheon Keynote Address: Democracy and Economic Development

Introduction

Mihaela Pintea, Department of Economics

Keynote Presenter

Michael Camilleri, United States Agency for International Development

Panel Two: The Playbook for Undermining Democracy

Introduction

Alexandra Restifo, Department of Religious Studies

Panelists

Inga K. Trauthig, University of Texas, Austin

Adrian Shahbaz, Freedom House

Tatiana Kostadinova, Department of Politics & International Relations

Besiki Kutateladze, Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice

Moderator

Milena Neshkova, Department of Public Policy & Administration

Closing Remarks: Melissa Baralt, Department of Modern Languages

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Sponsored by the Dorothea Green Lecture Series and the Václav Havel Program for Human Rights and Democracy

This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
Steven J. Green School of International and Public Affairs · 11200 SW 8th St · Sipa Ii · Miami, FL 33199-2516 · USA

Access the MARY-ALFORD Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the MARY-ALFORD List