Thank you for your thoughts Sherri, please tell Eric I said hi.

Ken

Ken Cornell
County Commissioner
Board of County Commissioners
12 SE 1st ST • Gainesville • FL • 32601
352-264-6900 (office) • 352-281-4000 (mobile)

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S.119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials and County Staff are kept as public records. Your e-mail
communications,
including your e-mail address, may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.

> On Feb 25, 2024, at 9:08 AM, Sherri Amundson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.
>

> Dear Commissioners,
>
> I bought my original 10 acre property, 1830 SE 32nd Place, in 1988. Shortly after, I, and my former husband, bought 8 1/2 acres adjoining the 10. About 15 years ago my husband, Eric Amundson, and I, bought another 2 acres adjoining our property. We now own 20 1/2 acres, which includes two homes.  Our north border neighbor is Paul Florence’s landfill, and we are fine with him running his business. We know it is in mediation, with a mediator hired by both sides. Our opinion is to wait for this mediation to end before you, the commission, make your decision.
>
> The former owner of this landfill property was irresponsible, selling fill dirt illegally, and letting anyone dump anything in the holes.  Several neighbors worked with me at getting him shut down. When Paul took ownership, he cleaned the area and began running an honest business.
>
> The few times Eric and I have had questions or concerns, we’ve called and talked to Paul and the question has been answered or the issue corrected. (Similar to me calling Jordan Brown on the Family Farm about compost material smells.) Whenever we have needed heavy equipment to move something or dig a trench, Paul has offered to help. Many years ago he connected my house to city water.  Before that, my water was tested several times a year and never was anything harmful found in those water tests.
>
> He built a berm on the edge between our properties to block the view of the trucks and the work, and he keeps the fence line mowed. When we noticed invasive plants on the border between our properties, he hired Kestral Land Managers to deal with it. They come out somewhat regularly to check on the invasive plants on the landfill side and on our property.
>
> Before he built the transfer station, we heard truck noises regularly throughout the day. Occasionally, I would host happy hour at my house for my fellow teachers at Williams Elementary.  (I taught there from 1991-2006).  When I planned these, I would call Paul a week ahead and ask him to drop the noise on those Friday afternoons. He always complied.  Since the transfer station has been operating, we do not hear any regular noise from next door, only occasional truck sounds.

> [...]

To unsubscribe from the KEN-CORNELL list, click the following link:
http://listserv.alachuacounty.us/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=KEN-CORNELL