Office of Community Relations

UF Government and Community Relations

Monday, April 3, 2023

Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region.

Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​

You're invited to the April 19th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with Christopher Ferraro to discuss Sustainable Construction Engineering

Register Now

Five big ways UF is benefitting Florida

The University of Florida, the flagship university of the nation’s third-most-populous state, is committed to leading and serving the state of Florida. UF has more than 150 mission-focused units statewide and a presence in all of Florida’s 67 counties.

Surpassing $1 billion in research for the first time in 2022, UF faculty are developing new treatments for diseases, agricultural products, engineering solutions and countless other discoveries and inventions that fuel Florida’s economy and support Florida’s prosperity now and in the future.

See some of the ways UF research is benefiting the sunshine state and beyond.

Read More

From The Conversation: 3D-printing the brain’s blood vessels with silicone could improve and personalize neurosurgery – new technique shows how

Researchers at UF's Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, recently published research into a new technique for creating a replica of the brain using 3D printing.

The new approach uses silicone to make more accurate models of the blood vessels in the brain, enabling neurosurgeons to train with more realistic simulations before they operate.

They explain their research findings in this article published in The Conversation.

Read More

From UF Health: Down but never Out - Deanna’s marathon recovery

Deanna McVay is a Gainesville native, a mom to three children and an avid runner who participated in her first marathon at age 33. While training for her first marathon in 2015, Deanna became a patient of the UF Health Running Medicine Clinic and the UF Health Sports Performance Center to help prevent injuries.

After her family moved to Tallahassee, Florida, she began to have severe pain before, during and after exercise. She was desperate to find relief and found a medical professional in Tallahassee to treat her quickly.

After four weeks of treatment with no relief, she called the UF Health Running Medicine Clinic to make an appointment. Even though the clinic was 130 miles away, Deanna was confident in her doctor and his ability to treat her pain and get her running again.

Read More

From The Independent Florida Alligator: Local children receive free bikes at UF Shands safety event

A small electric Spider-Man bike, two bright pink miniature horse-drawn carriages and three kid-sized neon green four wheelers were just some of the prizes given away at UF Shands’ ‘bike rodeo, safety and health fair’ event Saturday morning.

About 800 attendees, including 330 children, gathered at UF Health Professional Park at 3300 SW Williston Road for a four hourslong festival focused on promoting children’s bike and car safety.

Read More

From the Mainstreet Daily News: Medical facility teams with UF to aid turtles

The hospital patient paced around her room, ignoring the food that had been left for her. She was set to be released in two weeks and was becoming restless, occasionally sticking her flipper above the water to show her impatience.

The patient, Tomahawk, was being cared for at the UF Whitney Sea Turtle Hospital in St. Augustine.

Read More

UF/IFAS study: New mosquito species reported in Florida

Another new mosquito species has made its way across the tropics into Florida, making a permanent home in at least three counties. Scientists are concerned because of the rate of new mosquitoes arriving in Florida and the potential for them to transmit mosquito-borne diseases.

A mosquito known only by its scientific name, Culex lactator, is the latest to establish in the Sunshine State, according to a new study published in the Journal of Medical Entomology by faculty at the UF/IFAS Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory (UF/IFAS FMEL).

Read More

From UF/IFAS:  Public workshop on Florida-Friendly Landscaping™

April 11, 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Alachua County Ag Auditorium (22716 W Newberry Road, Newberry, FL)

Landscapes can be beautiful while conserving water, saving money, and minimizing maintenance. In this workshop, participants will learn tips for reducing water, minimizing fertilizer inputs, encouraging pollinators, and protecting our water resources in your landscape by following principles of the Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program.

There is no registration fee. Participants must register online through Eventbrite.

Register Now

FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT

Brittany Wise

(352) 273-3820

Subscribe to UF News Releases
Susan Crowley
Assistant Vice President, Community Relations

Access the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN List