UF in the Community spotlights the positive impact of UF in our region. Here are some examples of how we are enhancing our shared community. Office of Community Relations UF Government and Community Relations Monday, March 27, 2023 Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region. Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​ You're invited to the April 19th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with Christopher Ferraro to discuss Sustainable Construction Engineering Register Now UF Health researchers’ gene therapy for eye disorder shows promise in early testing For people with retinitis pigmentosa, the world they see often starts changing in childhood or as young adults. Their night and peripheral vision declines, eventually leaving most blind.  Now a group of University of Florida College of Medicine researchers are working on a solution: a gene therapy that has now succeeded in three animal models. Working in mice, the researchers used gene therapy to both knock down and replace malfunctioning genetic material that affects light-sensing photoreceptors in the retina. The technique deploys a harmless, engineered virus to deliver a functional copy of the gene to the eyes. The therapy led to improved retinal structure and function throughout the nine-month experiment.  Read More From the UF College of Health and Human Performance: Center for Exercise Science Seminars  The Center for Exercise Science is proud to present an ongoing speaker series where we bring in leading researchers representing the cardiovascular, muscle, nerve, brain and behavioral science fields. Presentations are approximately 45 minutes long and are followed by a 15-minute Q&A session. Seminars are open to the public.  For questions regarding the seminars and to receive Zoom information, please contact Dr. Leonardo Ferreira. Seminars for the Fall 2022 semester will be held in Florida Gymnasium (FLG), room 210. See the link below for dates. Read More UF neuroscience students bring brain lessons to area public schools As high school students at lab tables leaned in to see, two University of Florida neuroscience students each lifted a sheep brain in their palms.  The students passed around models of brains of a bird, frog and pigeon, inspecting them for differences, and then, scalpels raised, began the sheep brain dissection. The presentation at P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School was one of 16 last week by UF neuroscience students who deployed into public schools to spread excitement about brain science. For elementary students, interactive demonstrations included a “super-taster” test (if test paper tastes bitter, it means you’re a super taster) and a jelly bean test to teach how smell influences taste. Read More UF College of Veterinary Medicine Open House – April 15th Don’t miss the return of annual UF College of Veterinary Medicine open house. Learn how to get into vet school and experience hands-on demonstrations with our students and faculty. Enjoy a food truck rally, games and souvenirs, a teddy bear clinic and more! The event is free and open to all ages. Visit Website From UF Advancement: Gator Dives of the Decades Take a look back at the has-been haunts — and some current contenders — that, well, um, “rounded out the UF student experience.” Dust off that fake ID and stagger down memory lane with us as we pay tribute to a century of iconic pubs, clubs and hangouts. Read More From WUFT The Point at the UF College of Journalism and Communications: A Big Blob of Seaweed Listen to the interview with a UF IFAS extension agent on a large blob of seaweed heading toward the Florida coast. Listen Now Tips and tools from UF/IFAS: To save water, start with irrigating less Here are some tips and resources to reduce outdoor water use and still maintain outdoor spaces you and your family can enjoy. Only water your landscape when it needs it. Many people are overwatering their lawns, which increases weeds, reduces drought tolerance andwastes water. Make sure you have a working rain sensor device — it’s the law! You can also install a smart irrigation device that helps your lawn get the right amount of water. Check your local utility to see if they offer a rebate or free irrigation audits. Always check local watering restrictions before turning on the sprinklers. This scheduler is a helpful tool to make watering decisions. Consider reducing your landscape’s irrigation needs. Install no or low-water use landscape beds with drought-tolerant plants. The Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ plant guide can help you select the right plants for your landscape that require less water. Contact your local UF/IFAS Extension office for guidance. Extension agents in all 67 counties are available to help you reduce your water use and care for your yard. Read More FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT Brittany Wise [log in to unmask] (352) 273-3820 Subscribe to UF News Releases Susan Crowley Assistant Vice President, Community Relations UF Office of Community Relations | 111 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113158, Gainesville, FL 32611-3158 Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by [log in to unmask] powered by Try email marketing for free today!