UF in the Community spotlights the positive impact of UF in our region. Here are some examples of how we are enhancing our shared community. Office of Community Relations UF Government and Community Relations Monday, March 6, 2023 Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region. Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​ From UF Health: Pediatric Proton Therapy for Cancer in Children Although treating cancer with a lower risk of side effects is a priority for every patient, it’s especially important when treating cancer in children. That’s why, for many patients with pediatric cancer, proton therapy holds unique promise.  Generally, cancer in children is treated with traditional radiation, chemotherapy or surgery – or a combination of the three. And while traditional radiation can go a long way in defeating pediatric cancer, it can also result in harmful side effects for growing children. These risks include developmental delays, hormone deficiencies, effects on bone and muscle tissue, and hearing loss or damage to salivary glands. Proton therapy may limit the radiation exposure to healthy, growing tissue in pediatric cancer patients. Read More From the UF College of Veterinary Medicine: Stallion with rare form of colic survives after surgery at UF Morriston resident Valerie Frederick still is haunted by the loss of a beloved Friesian colt that succumbed to colic several years ago. So when her second Friesian, a 20-year-old stallion named Hannibal, began showing signs of the illness, she knew she would do everything possible to save his life.  On the advice of her veterinarian, she brought Hannibal to the University of Florida Large Animal Hospital. Read More UF Warrington College of Business: Training participation key to retaining older workers, research finds Seventy-five million people from the Baby Boomer generation will be retiring by 2030. The departure of this staggering group of workers will leave a wide gap in the workforce, causing concern among employers about how to prepare.    With the exodus of the second-largest generation in the U.S. having already begun due to the impacts of the pandemic, organizations are searching for the best ways to retain retirement-age workers to avoid worker shortages and hold on to knowledge reservoirs. Read More UF Online’s RN to BSN Program Adds Fall Enrollment To meet increased demand, UF Online is adding a fall start date for the RN to BSN program. Once exclusively available for spring admission, prospective nursing students now have the option to apply for the fall semester for the first time. In partnership with the College of Nursing, UF Online aims to increase access and opportunities for students by doubling the program’s enrollment capacity.  To combat the nursing shortage driven by the COVID-19 pandemic, the State of Florida is providing funding to the state’s top-ranked nursing program at the University of Florida. After estimating that the state will need an additional 60,000 nurses in the next 15 years, Florida lawmakers have devoted $125 million to nursing education.  Read More Florida Museum of Natural History partners with the Alachua County Library District: Museum in the Parks  The Florida Museum of Natural History has partnered with our local Alachua County Library District to bring our Museum in the Parks program to county libraries! Check out an Exploration Backpack full of scientist’s tools at any library location and learn more about Florida’s natural history. Read More From UF Professional and Workforce Development: Inspiring Women Leaders Conference  The Inspiring Women Leaders (IWL) Conference will be held at the Reitz Union on March 8th & 9th. The conference provides attendees with personal and professional development through dynamic conference sessions and networking opportunities. By connecting leaders, this event fosters a learning environment where attendees leave with tools that enhance their leadership and business skills.  2023 Conference Theme: Life is a Highway  There will always be the possibility of encountering potholes, traffic jams, detours, bad weather and reckless drivers during your travels. You can’t control what shows up on your highway, but you can control how you navigate through or around it. Join us at IWL 2023 and discover how to bring more purpose into your work, develop yourself into an authentic, conscientious leader and make your life a journey worth remembering. Learn more at https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://iwl.aa.ufl.edu__;!!KOmxaIYkRmNA0A!QTg_4y3kKGsdwTwH2CB8_zjfZlr4UmST5Bkpdz4_AyYhkVdsoX4pdGEoA1hg02CHYo0YKxFDkaYolUMaNhWXpMYLNjLLC59zCvof$ . Register Now From UF/IFAS: Florida leads the world in caladium bulb production, thanks in part to UF/IFAS scientists Terri Bates knows that if she wants to sell a good caladium, she can count on University of Florida scientists, including Zhanao Deng. “We grow 12 UF/IFAS varieties developed by Dr. Deng, and they are a huge asset to our business as well as the landscape/retail garden center industry,” said Bates, owner of Bates Sons & Daughters in Lake Placid, Florida.  The Sunshine State serves as the sole source of caladium bulbs for the world, and since 1976, UF/IFAS researchers have been breeding varieties of this ornamental. Read More FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT Brittany Wise [log in to unmask] (352) 273-3820 Subscribe to UF News Releases Susan Crowley Assistant Vice President, Community Relations UF Office of Community Relations | 111 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113158, Gainesville, FL 32611-3158 Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by [log in to unmask] powered by Try email marketing for free today!