UF in the Community spotlights the positive impact of UF in our region. Here are some examples of how we are enhancing our shared community. Office of Community Relations UF Government and Community Relations Monday, February 27, 2023 Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region. Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​ You're invited to the March 8th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with Dr. David Nelson for a UF Health Update Register Now NBC News on UF Health: High-tech hospital uses artificial intelligence in patient care Doctors at the University of Florida Health Center are using artificial intelligence to help monitor their patients. The findings will help them develop algorithms that will soon provide real-time health care recommendations.  UF Health to launch Florida’s first fleet of specialized ambulances to improve stroke care To improve stroke outcomes for Floridians, UF Health is launching a statewide network of mobile stroke treatment units — specialized ambulances equipped to speed diagnosis and treatment. Every second matters when it comes to stroke care, as faster treatment can save lives and limit long-term effects.  The first new mobile stroke unit will be housed in Gainesville and is expected to be deployed by July 2023. Read More Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy lives on through UF students’ volunteer work   The MLK Day of Service, hosted by the UF Brown Center for Leadership and Service, took place on Jan. 14 and was a part of the wider celebration. The day of service allowed students to pour back into the greater Gainesville community. Around 300 students were in attendance. Read More From the UF Warrington College of Business: 12 Must-read books for business professionals Motivated to learn more about business and get ahead in your career? University of Florida Warrington College of Business faculty and staff recommend valuable books to read for students and business professionals. Read More UF/IFAS tests olives in Florida to determine possible commercial industry Most of the world’s olives grow in southern European countries, such as Spain and Italy. In the United States, California has more than 30,000 acres dedicated to the commodity. But Florida may be the next agricultural region for small-scale commercial olive production. Dr. Lorenzo Rossi, a native Italian who immersed himself early in life in olive production and the culture that surrounds rural Tuscany, believes the evergreen tree with oblong, sage-colored leaves may be a good prospect for Florida growers.  UF/IFAS recently approved a nearly $70,000 grant for Rossi’s research proposal, “Evaluating olive (Olea europaea L.) as a new cash crop for Florida.” In addition to the UF grant, The Florida Olive Council will support the project with $5,000. Read More From UF/IFAS: Gardening Solutions – Soil Testing resources It can be daunting to find the right fertilizer for your landscape or garden, especially if you aren't sure what your soil needs. Luckily, soil testing can take away the guesswork and let you know exactly what type of fertilizer to use. Soil testing can be helpful before planting because it lets you know the nutrient availability. If your soil is lacking necessary nutrients, your newly planted crops won't have their needs met. On the other hand, applying unnecessary fertilizer is an added cost and can harm the environment. Soil testing is a quick and easy way to avoid problems on both ends of the spectrum.  UF/IFAS offers two options for testing your soil. The traditional option is to send your sample to the UF/IFAS Soil Testing Laboratory. The newer option is to use the SoilKit® testing kit, which is the product of a UF/IFAS partnership with AgriTech Corp. This kit provides an easy-to-use soil testing platform with consumer-friendly results. Both test options are available at your county Extension office. Read More From the UF Office of Professional and Workforce Development: Culinary Arts Certification  If you have a great passion for cooking and the drive to pursue your goal as a professional cook, food entrepreneur, and more, there is no better time to start a career in this thriving landscape. The UF Office of Professional and Workforce Development (OPWD) has launched their Culinary Arts Certification course in Gainesville! This program provides strong culinary foundations training with a hands-on optional externship.    The next course is from March 7 – June 22. The class is held Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of each week from 5 – 10 PM at Work Food Kitchen.  Funding assistance is available for this course in partnership with CareerSource North Central Florida through WIOA. WIOA or the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act offers financial assistance to improve skills and occupational training to adult and dislocated workers.   Click HERE to view the Culinary Arts Certification web page and HERE to view the Gainesville registration page. At the Florida Museum of Natural History: Spiders Alive! Take an eight-legged walk on the wild side with Spiders Alive! This exciting exhibit dives into the world of spiders, scorpions and their relatives with more than a dozen LIVE species on display. Discover the unique traits and characteristics of this diverse group of animals at this interactive, family-friendly experience! Read More FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT Brittany Wise [log in to unmask] (352) 273-3820 Subscribe to UF News Releases Susan Crowley Assistant Vice President, Community Relations UF Office of Community Relations | 111 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113158, Gainesville, FL 32611-3158 Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by [log in to unmask] powered by Try email marketing for free today!