UF in the Community spotlights the positive impact of UF in our region. Here are some examples of how we are enhancing our shared community. Office of Community Relations UF Government and Community Relations Monday, February 6, 2023 Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region. Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​ You're invited to the February 8th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with the UF Shimberg Center for Housing Studies Register Now Howard Bishop Middle School celebrates becoming a UCF-Certified Community Partnership School Howard Bishop Middle School celebrated becoming a UCF-Certified Community Partnership School on Tuesday night, their next step to improving the lives of their students.  “The Community Partnership Schools™ model at Howard Bishop Middle is a long-term commitment among Children’s Home Society of Florida, Alachua County School District, Alachua County Health Department, Santa Fe College and the University of Florida, bringing together high-quality academics, health care, counseling, mentoring and more — right on site at the school where students and families are comfortable,” a press release by the Children’s Home Society of Florida explained. Read More UF achieves No. 1 ranking for online bachelor’s degree programs For the second year in a row, U.S. News & World Report has ranked University of Florida as the top institution in the country to offer an online bachelor’s degree. The rankings organization also named UF as the country’s No. 1 university for veterans and active-duty service members to earn an online bachelor’s degree.  UF Online consistently is recognized as among the top online bachelor’s degree programs in the country, offering 25 degree options from 10 colleges with several academic specializations. The program provides pathways for traditional and non-traditional students, including veterans, mid-career professionals, and people with a variety of life circumstances who benefit from the flexibility and access available online. Read More Study reveals jump in toxic ‘forever chemicals’ around St. Augustine after Hurricane Dorian Beyond the destruction caused by waves and wind, hurricanes can boost harmful forever chemicals known as PFAS (Per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances) according to a first-of-its-kind study within the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve. Contaminated water samples were collected at all nine measuring stations along the St. Augustine Intracoastal waterway when Hurricane Dorian passed 90 miles offshore.  A team of the University of Florida researchers discovered the synthetic chemicals used to make products resistant to stains, grease, soil, and water increased by 177% during the storm and the levels didn’t revert to normal until two days later. Read More UF College of the Arts presents two opportunities to enjoy UF carillon performances at the Century Tower Saturday, February 11 at 6:15pm - Lisa Lonie, Carillonneur of Princeton University, will perform a fifty-minute program entitled "Seasons of the Bells: a musical love poem." Her recital is presented in conjunction with Florida Carillon Festival.  Tuesday, February 14 at 6:15pm - Members of the UF Carillon studio perform a Valentine's Day recital. The UF Century Tower is located at 375 Newell Dr on the UF campus. Enjoy the concerts from the ample lawn area. From the UF College of Veterinary Medicine: Petco Love invests in UF Shelter Medicine Program to increase shelter veterinarians amidst national shortage  The Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine will receive a $510,000 grant from national nonprofit Petco Love to address the increasing shortage of shelter medicine veterinarians to assure shelter pets have access to timely and essential veterinary care.  The grant will support an accelerated internship program for six veterinarians to become skilled in shelter animal care, surgery, disease outbreak intervention, forensics, disaster response, behavior, public health, and high-quality high-volume spay-neuter — topics that are bundled into an emerging area of veterinary practice called Shelter Medicine. The program recruits top-performing senior veterinary students from across the country to join a one-year internship at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine upon graduation from veterinary school. Read More From UF/IFAS: Plant to Plate Series - How to grow, harvest, prepare, and enjoy a variety of herbs – Starts February 15th Plant to Plate is a series of in-person and online classes covering how to grow, harvest, and prepare herbs to enhance the flavor and health of your meals. Classes are divided into four sessions. The first and fourth sessions will be held at the Alachua County Ag Auditorium and sessions two and three will be Zoom webinars. The registration fee is $30.00 (includes all four sessions). Participants must register online. You will receive the Zoom links after paying the registration fee. There will be no refunds for the registration fee. Register Now UF/IFAS research: Helping Florida strawberry growers and meeting consumer desires for 70 years As far back as the early 1950s, University of Florida scientists have been studying how to improve strawberry production and consumption – not just in Florida, but globally. Did you know UF/IFAS-developed strawberry varieties grow in more than 50 countries and on every continent except Antarctica? Fun facts as we enter the thick of Florida’s strawberry growing season, which runs through April.  To help those who grow the crop, which generates $300 million annually for Florida’s economy, UF/IFAS researchers aim to develop strawberries that fight diseases and pests, but also taste and smell delicious. Read More FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT Brittany Wise [log in to unmask] (352) 273-3820 Susan Crowley Assistant Vice President, Community Relations UF Office of Community Relations | 111 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113158, Gainesville, FL 32611-3158 Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by [log in to unmask] powered by Try email marketing for free today!