Office of Community Relations

UF Government and Community Relations

Monday, January 30, 2023

Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region.

Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​

You're invited to the February 8th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with the UF Shimberg Center for Housing Studies

Register Now

From the UF College of Medicine: Strategic plan project to improve IT infrastructure for AI readiness and community health

The health care field produces dozens of useful data points during each patient visit, from height, weight and blood pressure to cholesterol levels and relevant family history. However, finding the right way to synthesize these data to improve current treatments and even find new cures for diseases requires a lot of computing power.

To elevate health care systems in the digital age, where resources like artificial intelligence can be used to sift through and organize millions of data points that would otherwise be impossible to extrapolate, partnerships must be forged between front-line clinicians and data scientists behind the scenes.

Read More

From the UF College of Public Health and Health Professions: Study finds health care ransomware attacks more than double in five years

Ransomware attacks on health care organizations more than doubled from 2016 to 2021, compromising tens of millions of patients’ personal information and potentially jeopardizing their care.

In what is believed to be the first census of such attacks, investigators report in the journal JAMA Health Forum that 374 ransomware attacks were carried out against clinics, hospitals, dental offices, diagnostic laboratories, emergency medical services and other health care delivery organizations between 2016 and 2021. During that period, the annual number of attacks rose from 43 to 91. The attacks exposed the personal health information of nearly 42 million patients.

The study was conducted by researchers at the University of Minnesota and Beth A. Virnig, Ph.D., M.P.H., dean of the University of Florida College of Public Health and Health Professions, who joined UF last year from the University of Minnesota.

Read More

From the UF Entrepreneurship & Innovation Center: Participate in Gainesville Tech Week – Feb 1-3

Gainesville Tech Week is organized by OneSixOne Ventures, in partnership with 35 Mules (Florida Power & Light Company).

Some notable speakers for the 3-day event include Marvin Wheeler, ex-COO of Terremark ($2b exit to Verizon) and Chief Innovation Officer at SilverSky; Andres Barreto, serial entrepreneur and Managing Director of Techstars Miami; Jamie Farrell, who led growth/operations at 5 of the fastest growing Edtech startups to acquisition; Andreas Calabrese, General Partner at Tampa Bay Ventures and many more!

For more information see registration link.

Register Now

UF Whitney Science Lab lecture highlights UF College of Design, Construction and Planning work to preserve historic St. Augustine

St. Augustine is the oldest city in the United States. Today, its future is in danger.

Leaders of the UF Historic Preservation Program (HPP), spoke to audience members about the importance of historic preservation and the work in the local HPP chapter: the Preservation Institute of St. Augustine (PISA).

In 2007, Florida granted management of 38 historic St. Augustine structures to UF management. UF responded by developing a strategic plan to support historic preservation of these structures.

Read More

From the UF Warrington College of Business: Practicing mindfulness can reduce the emotional ups and downs of your workday

Have you ever come into your office in a great mood, ready for a productive day, only to have your attitude flip to dread when you open your inbox or are asked to join a meeting last minute?

This shift in emotional state over time that captures people’s reactivity to emotion-inducing events is an example of what psychologists refer to as affect spin.

Because your day-to-day work and experiences in your workplace play a role in how you feel, affect spin has costs for both you as an employee and your organization. Studies have linked affect spin to a reduction in goal progress, voluntary work behavior and creativity as well as an increased crossover into work-family conflicts.

New research suggests that mindfulness is a simple solution to reducing affect spin and increasing employee well-being.

Read More

From the UF College of Health & Human Performance: D.K. Stanley Day featuring Chynna Clayton

The UF College of Health and Human Performance invites you to attend a talk by Chynna Clayton – UF graduate, CEO and Founder of Matriarch Made Development and former director of travel and event operations for Michelle Obama. This event is part of the college’s D.K. Stanley Day celebration honoring our college’s first dean and our college’s commitment to enhancing the quality of life.

The day kicks off with Clayton’s lecture, “Having a ‘ready for anything’ mindset: My path to the White House,” at 10:30 a.m. A lunch and student poster symposium will follow the lecture. The event is free and open to the public with a limited number of reserved parking spaces for community members.

Read More

UF/IFAS helps Floridians launch food business dreams

Starting a food business might seem intimidating, but UF/IFAS Extension courses can help make big dreams a reality.

That is exactly how Sharlay Smith of Jacksonville, Florida, the turned a “lightbulb moment” into The Lentil House, a profitable business that sells a Smith family favorite in Whole Foods stores across the state.

Read More

UF ag engineer to assess crop damage after tropical storms, hurricanes, using AI

University of Florida scientists will use artificial intelligence technology to quantify damage to fruits and vegetables caused by extreme weather events, such as Hurricane Ian.

When Ian struck on Sept. 28, it brought winds up to 155 mph and caused as much as $1.56 billion in damage to crops, livestock and aquaculture products in its path, according to preliminary estimates from UF/IFAS. Those estimates are based on farmer surveys.

These figures are critical because growers need to know the extent of crop loss to file insurance claims and apply for other recovery aid.

Read More

FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT

Brittany Wise

(352) 273-3820

Susan Crowley
Assistant Vice President, Community Relations

Access the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN List