UF in the Community spotlights the positive impact of UF in our region. Here are some examples of how we are enhancing our shared community. Office of Community Relations UF Government and Community Relations Monday, January 23, 2023 Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region. Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​ You're invited to the February 8th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with the UF Shimberg Center for Housing Studies Register Now UF scientists discover way to alter fentanyl, making the potent pain reliever safer Scientists have discovered a way to alter the chemical properties of fentanyl, offering a safer alternative to the powerful pain reliever. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid similar to morphine but up to 100 times more potent. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is among the most abused pain relievers in the U.S. and the leading cause of overdose deaths. More than 80,000 Americans died from an opioid overdose in 2021.  In a study published in the journal Nature, a team of scientists from the University of Florida, Washington University in St. Louis, the University of Southern California and Stanford University, report how they modified fentanyl’s chemical structure to maintain its pain-relieving properties while reducing harmful side effects. Read More Florida Health Policy Leadership Academy through the UF Bob Graham Center seeks community leader participants The Florida health Policy Leadership Academy is holding its third-annual Florida Health Policy Leadership Academy (FHPLA) that will begin in March of 2023. They are looking for motivated community leaders from across Northeast Florida to apply to be Fellows. The FHPLA provides a unique platform for community leaders to learn from experts in the field of public health and policy and to collaborate in taking action towards improving health and prosperity within their communities. The Academy is relevant for currently elected officials, legislative staff members, government policymakers, journalists, non-profit executives, and business leaders who wish to increase their knowledge and skills in protecting and promoting health in their communities. Academy training is each Friday, beginning March 3, 2023, and ending May 12, 2023. There is no cost to attend, and participants will receive a stipend for professional development.  For complete details, refer to the Academy website: Read More Bald eagle released back into the wild after treatment at UF and Audubon Center for Birds of Prey A bald eagle rescued in Lake City after a mid-air encounter with another bird left it unable to fly was released back into the wild today (Jan. 10) after successful treatment at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine and further treatment and rehabilitation at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland. Read More The Education Foundation and UF Freshman Leadership Council Join Forces to Help Local High School Students A group of middle and high school students from the local Take Stock in Children program attended the November 5th Youth Leadership Summit, a collaboration between The Education Foundation of Alachua County and the University of Florida’s Freshman Leadership Council.  At the Youth Leadership Summit, students were challenged with creating new connections and exploring vulnerability as they tackled personal and professional development activities. Read More The Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere - Speaker Series presents “Public Humanities as Environmental Humanities” on January 26th Join the CHPS for the final event for the 2022-23 speaker series: “Rethinking the Public Sphere Part IV: Public Humanities" on January 26th at 5:00pm at Smathers Library Rm 100. In this free, public talk, Nicholas Allen (University of Georgia, Department of English and Willson Center for Humanities and Art) will consider how the public and the environmental humanities together can prepare the ground, water, and atmosphere for modes of thinking that give shape to the answers we need to questions of social and environmental justice and climate catastrophe. Read More UF/IFAS 2023 Spring Bee College – March 17th & 18th Join the UF/IFAS Honey Bee Lab at the 2023 University of Florida Spring Bee College for one or two days of all things honey bees on March 17th & 18th. Those new to beekeeping can follow the beginner track, while more experienced beekeepers can participate in hands-on training in the apiary, classes on honey bee research, and other advanced topics in beekeeping. Register Now Learn more about the Florida-Friendly Landscaping program Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ (FFL) is the state of Florida’s premier Extension program that promotes sustainable alternatives to “conventional” landscaping, providing guidance on low-impact, environmentally friendly, science-based landscape practices that use less water and reduce pollutant loading to Florida waters. Since 1993, FFL has served Florida as a partnership between the University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension (UF/IFAS Extension) and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). The FFL approach is based on the 9 FFL Principles: 1) Right Plant, Right Place; 2) Water Efficiently; 3) Fertilize Appropriately; 4) Mulch; 5) Attract Wildlife; 6) Manage Yard Pests Responsibly; 7) Recycle; 8) Reduce Storm Water Runoff; and 9) Protect the Waterfront. The overall goal is to reduce nonpoint source pollution through proper fertilization, irrigation, and pesticide use on residential and commercial landscapes. Learn what you can do to keep your property Florida-Friendly: Read More FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT Brittany Wise [log in to unmask] (352) 273-3820 Susan Crowley Assistant Vice President, Community Relations UF Office of Community Relations | 111 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113158, Gainesville, FL 32611-3158 Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by [log in to unmask] powered by Try email marketing for free today!