Office of Community Relations

UF Government and Community Relations

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Across the University of Florida, our 16 colleges, numerous institutes, and health care facilities embrace our shared mission of outreach and service to improve and enrich our community, nation, and the world. UF in the Community spotlights the impact of UF in our region.

Although UF has students and employees throughout the state, North Central Florida is home to much of our faculty and staff and to our 50,000+ students. Like all area residents, we want a vibrant, safe, healthy, and equitable place in which to live and thrive. Here are some of the ways in which we are enhancing our shared community.​

You’re invited to the January 20th UF Eye Opener Discovery Breakfast with the Alachua County Legislative Delegation

Register Now

From the McKnight Brain Institute of the University of Florida: Active aging extends vibrancy for seniors

Mainstreet Daily News highlights local efforts to promote healthy aging, including University of Florida researchers Drs. Stephen Anton and Adam Woods, who are each leading studies in this area.

Read More

UF College of Medicine Equal Access Clinic Network celebrates 30 years of free community health care

Join the University of Florida College of Medicine community in celebrating 30 years of free community health care offered through our student-run UF Equal Access Clinic Network!

What started as a small organization run once weekly out of the old Salvation Army on East University Avenue has grown exponentially to fill a critical need in caring for Florida’s underserved and underinsured patients.

Read More

From UF Director of Energy Studies: What social media regulation could look like: Think of pipelines, not utilities

From The Conversation: Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter, and his controversial statements and decisions as its owner, have fueled a new wave of calls for regulating social media companies.

Elected officials and policy scholars have argued for years that companies like Twitter and Facebook – now Meta – have immense power over public discussions and can use that power to elevate some views and suppress others. Critics also accuse the companies of failing to protect users’ personal data and downplaying harmful impacts of using social media.

As an economist who studies the regulation of utilities such as electricity, gas and water, I wonder what that regulation would look like. There are many regulatory models in use around the world, but few seem to fit the realities of social media. However, observing how these models work can provide valuable insights.

Read More

Harn Museum of Art Announces Art After Dark

The University of Florida’s Harn Museum of Art is excited to introduce Art After Dark. Thanks to a private grant of $300,000 the museum will remain open to the public until 9 pm every Thursday beginning Jan. 5, 2023. The extended hours offer Harn visitors more time to explore the permanent collection, experience special exhibitions, shop in the store and enjoy food and drinks while listening to music in the museum’s rotunda.

Read More

From UF/IFAS: Treating Cold-Damaged Plants

It can be discouraging to see your beloved plants suffering from cold damage, but they can be saved! You should water them, but resist the urge to prune or fertilize too soon. Patience is key to helping your plants recover!

IFAS experts offer tips to help your cold-damaged plants.

Read More

From UF/IFAS: Learn what’s happening at the UF Ordway-Swisher Biological Station

Learn more about UF’s Ordway-Swisher Biological Station – south of Melrose. This 10,000-acre research, teaching, and extension facility of the University of Florida was established to further the study and conservation of unique ecosystems.

Read More

UF to reinstate vehicle-restricted area on campus

Starting in January, the University of Florida will reinstate road restrictions that reduce vehicular traffic in the academic core of campus.

The restrictions, designed to improve pedestrian safety, will begin Jan. 9 during peak traffic hours between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays when classes are in session. The four entry points to the vehicle-restricted zone will be visibly marked with a sign and flashing red light.

Read More

FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES CONTACT

Brittany Wise

(352) 273-3820

Susan Crowley
Assistant Vice President, Community Relations

Access the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the RAEMI-EAGLE-GLENN List