Hello.  I live on the Newnans lakeshore and when airboats are out on the lake there are bad effects, both on us and to wildlife.  I know from daytime observance if one is coming by there are birds who have been startled and flying to get away from the oncoming noise,  and I can only imagine the effect the boats have at night on roosting birds.

For whatever their business out there, many times they seem to stop in our vicinity and pan their lights around, which is quite disturbing.  Are they using us as some lucky  landmark?    Also they seem more likely to follow the shoreline at night, and were I to choose to be out there in a kayak or canoe I don't know that they would notice me.  They also tend to be going faster than other boats most of the time, that multiples the potential danger.

I can understand airboats at night for DEP research, like the alligator census.  I could see the use for rescue efforts, but really, I think a lot of folks out at night are out joy riding, or perhaps, my fear, poaching. I have heard what could be a bangstick on one recently after it had stopped down the shore from us following it having been panning it's light around as it moved past our property.

Thanks for listening,    Joe Courter  352-378-5655