HealthStreet Newsletter: Veteran Health CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.

Display problems? View this newsletter in your browser.

---

COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease- a group of lung conditions that make it difficult to breathe due to narrowed airways. COPD is the third leading cause of death globally. Life with COPD can be difficult and simple tasks can be a challenge. The goal of World COPD Day is to raise awareness and present new knowledge and novel therapeutic strategies for COPD worldwide.

UF Health Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine is in the top 10% for patient care and outcomes. This video of a man from Chicago, living with COPD, shares how playing the harmonica is helping him work on his lung health. At UF HealthStreet, we can help you learn about the different resources for those living with COPD and other lung diseases. Call (352) 294-4880 or visit our website at healthstreet.program.ufl.edu/ for more information.

---

MARK YOUR CALENDAR:

Veterans Day (November 11)

World Diabetes Day (November 14)

OCOH COVID-19 Update Town Hall (November 18)

World COPD Day (November 18)

Thanksgiving (November 26)

---

DID YOU KNOW?

HealthStreet has 1,252 Veterans as members. Among these Veteran members, the top 3 health concerns are muscle and bone pain, hypertension, and diabetes.

---

"Living Healthy" workshop provided by Elder Options

Online via Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/98385987138

Dates: November 17, 24, December 1, 8, 15, 2020

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

For Information Call:

(352) 378-6649 or

email: [log in to unmask]

For registration:

https://bit.ly/354c8IW

Discover new skills for living better with ongoing health conditions like heart disease, bronchitis, and emphysema. You’ll also learn to work with your healthcare team, manage symptoms, how to handle difficult emotions, and more. Register today!

---
---

Interested in participating in research?

UF researchers conduct many different kinds of research studies, including clinical trials. Some studies focus on enrolling volunteers with certain health conditions, but others need healthy volunteers to enroll. HealthStreet is currently navigating people to many of these studies, some of which can be completed in minutes.

Here are a few studies that you can participate in now:

+The Effect of Noise Exposure on Adult Speech Perception Study is examining how adults with and without noise exposure recognize speech and language. Eligible participants must be 40-60 years old and have either served in combat or been exposed to high levels of noise.

+Colorectal Cancer Prevention Study is testing an educational nutrition program for use in existing colorectal cancer screenings. Eligible participants must be 50-73 years old, female, Non-Hispanic white, and have access to the internet and a webcam or phone with a camera.

If you are interested in hearing about these or other studies, contact our Study Navigator, Sara, at 352-294-4873.

---
CHW holding a bag of deterra and narcan nasal spray

In spite of COVID-19, HealthStreet continues to serve you with our dedicated Community Health Workers (CHWs). This week our team will be at the following locations:

+Davis Cancer Center

+Gainesville Vineyard Church Food Distribution

+Community Relief Day Food Distribution

+Heartwood Farmers Market

+Cone Park Resource Center

In addition to this list, CHWs will be at your local hair salons and barbers as well as downtown bars and clubs. Every week, CHWs are at locations around the city to give FREE health resources, like Deterraand NARCAN® Nasal Spray, help you know which research studies you may be eligible for and sign you up to be a HealthStreet member.

---
---
We acknowledge that the land where University of Florida is located lies on the traditional territories of the Timucua and Seminole peoples. As settlers and guests on these lands, we respect the work of these nations, their sovereignty, leaders, and families, and aim to make ongoing efforts to center indigenous knowledge, creativity, resilience, and resistance.

Copyright © 2020 HealthStreet, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

For more information, visit us at-
UF HealthStreet

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Unsubscribe - Edit your subscription

To unsubscribe from the ROBERT-HUTCHINSON list, click the following link:
http://listserv.alachuacounty.us/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=ROBERT-HUTCHINSON