Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - MARIHELEN-WHEELER Archives - LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

*Since the GREC-DREGS fuel source is a question recently posed by
Alachua County Commissioner Ken Cornell,
*

*this seems a good time to distribute **former Gainesville mayor Tom
Bussing's December 2009  column, The Shell Game.
*

*The Gainesville Sun refused to publish it. *

*The Shell Game *

  Gainesville Is Giving Away Its Energy Future

By Thomas Bussing

It defies belief that the biggest utility contract in our city’s
history has been offered to an essentially empty paper entity
whose principle activity is financial speculation, quick profit
and quick sell-off.

We the people are committing to their 500 million dollar
private contract to burn trees so that we can buy back electricity
at more expensive rates.

Until now we were a municipal utility that built, owned and
operated its system on behalf of the citizens. This deal
transfers future ownership to shifting paper corporations who
in turn sell off the rights they acquired from us.

Better hope it all works perfectly, because the bail-out leaves
us bankrupt and in hock forever to outside private financiers.

We have been told that we cannot break this contract. We
have been told it’s too late, that if it is stopped the city might
incur a financial penalty for the default.

What we really worry about is the opposite: that going ahead
with this plant may bring on the biggest financial disaster
possible for a city. We who pay the rates are on the line to pay
the half-billion dollar cost.

But there is hope.

A good start is simply agreeing that building this plant is a bad
idea, and that therefore the agreement is against our interests.
The facts tell us it would be better to not go ahead.

Many letters to this newspaper have presented various
reasons why we would be better off if this plant is not built.
Here are a few more.

The contractor, “Nacogdoches Power,” is a corporate entity
created for a single project, a planned bio-burner in
Nacogdoches, Texas, for which it was named. Quoting from
their December 14, 2007 proposal to GRU: “Nacogdoches
Power was formed in 2005. … the company has no
permanent employees…”

They are not builders or operators of power plants.  They are
merely seekers of financial arrangements, which they re-sell.
They have no visible balance sheet and no actual employees.

They recently sold their so-called “Texas Project” to another
outfit, before even getting it constructed. “Nacogdoches
Power” has rebranded into “American Renewables” in the
process.

They will not be running whatever gets built here.  They may
not even construct it.  But they expect to be lucratively
rewarded for their short time in town.

GRU admits that when completed, this plant will command a
premium (high) price for its output. Rates can be expected to
rise. In the end, to solve such problems we may be forced to
buy them out – and at a price that has not been disclosed.

Amazingly, such key terms have never been disclosed to the
public, nor even our elected commissioners and mayor.

Five hundred million dollars is a lot of money to contract for,
and it is we, the citizens who live here, who will have to pay
unless it is stopped.

There is one thing we can all agree upon - that it would be far
better for this contract to be voided than to take the enormous
risk of bankrupting our utility and our city.

Not a brick has been laid, no equipment purchased for this
proposed plant.

With that as our goal, we can proceed to explore mechanisms
and any costs of extricating our City from this ill-advised and
hastily-agreed-to contract.

In the long run, we will be much better off.

Dr. Thomas Bussing served as Mayor of Gainesville (2001-2004)

    GAINESVILLE SUN’S BIOMASS COVER-UP
    <https://thebiomassmonitor.org/2013/01/05/gainesville-suns-biomass-cover-up/>

Posted onJanuary 5, 2013
<https://thebiomassmonitor.org/2013/01/05/gainesville-suns-biomass-cover-up/>
byTheBiomassMonitor
<https://thebiomassmonitor.org/author/thebiomassmonitor/> Leave a
comment
<https://thebiomassmonitor.org/2013/01/05/gainesville-suns-biomass-cover-up/#respond>

/– by Karen Orr, January 5, 2013, Energy Justice Network/

One of the tragedies of life in Gainesville, Florida is that there is so
little reality based journalism. In today’s /SUN/, editorial page editor
*Ron Cunningham* continues the newspaper’s disinformation campaign on
the city’s *Gainesville Renewable Energy Center (GREC)
*boondoggle. Cunningham rewrites history when he states
<http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121028/COLUMNISTS/121029661/1088/opinion?p=all&tc=pgall>:
“I just wish they had been here hotly debating that issue three, four or
even five years ago, when it might have made a difference.”

Cunningham knows citizens strongly and publicly opposed the tree burning
incinerator plan three, four and even eight years ago. Maybe more. The
Gainesville city commissioners were well aware of the bad environmental
consequences a biomass incinerator would have on North Florida. Alachua
County citizens told them so over and over.

2005 example: “GRU’s Developer Welfare Plan
<http://alachuapost.com/All/3103.html?1075>” – the first published
article on the city commission’s biomass discussion that I’m aware of.
But there weren’t nearly as many citizens back in the day opposing the
biomass debacle as there are now. That’s because the public at large was
the victim of The Gainesville SUN’s cover-up of this story that would
have informed them of the impending biomass disaster.

The SUN kept the public in the dark as former Gainesville mayor *Pegeen
Hanrahan’s* plan played out at City Hall. Only after the SUN considered
the city’s GREC boondoggle to be “a done deal,” and a citizen lawsuit
unveiled the biomass rate hike buried in the secret contract, did the
newspaper begin reporting on the tree burning electricity generator in
any meaningful way. Not only did the SUN news editors hide the story as
its’ details unfolded at City Hall, SUN editorial page editor Cunningham
refused to publish some of the columns that would have alerted SUN
readers to what could be in store should the biomass boondoggle go forward.

One important piece Cunningham refused to let see the light of day on
the SUN’s editorial page was former Gainesville mayor, *Tom Bussing’s
* “The Shell Game: Gainesville is Giving Away Its Energy Future.
<http://gretnaflorida.biomess.us/2009/12/21/gainesville-is-giving-away-its-energy-future/>”
On December 21, 2009 *James Maloy* of Gretna, Florida wrote: “Since the
Gainesville Sun editorial page Editor, Ron Cunningham has refused to
publish this column by former Gainesville Mayor Tom Bussing, we offer
this information to the visitors of this website with thanks to Mr.
Bussing for sharing his opinion with the citizens of Florida who depend
on the media and government officials to defend their best interests.”

http://www.energyjustice.net/content/gainesville-suns-biomass-cover