MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Mary Alford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2020 18:25:50 +0000
Good Afternoon Mr Castaldo,

I am not sure if anyone else has gotten back to you but I did want to commend you for taking the time to share your concerns with local government.  Safety and road safety is something I take very seriously.  One of the problems with road design today is that we design roads for higher speeds than are typically considered safe given the type of traffic on that road.   Having lived in the Haile Village Center I am very aware of 91st St, and I know that part of it is designated scenic and many driveways exit directly onto 91st.  This limits the speed limit that can be allowed by DOT standards.

I would encourage you to report the excessive speeds and the unsafe driving practices to the Alachua County Sheriff's Department.  Rather than trading one unsafe condition for another, I would prefer to see enforcement of what is considered the best practice for a safe speed in those conditions.  I have copied the person in charge of our Public Works Department in case he has additional information to share.

Thank you again for getting involved with local government and working to make our community safer.  Don't hesitate to follow up with me.

Commissioner Mary Alford, PE

Mary Alford
County Commissioner
Board of County Commissioners
12 SE 1st Street, 2nd Floor • Gainesville • FL • 32601
352-264-6900 (office) • 352-681-2410 (mobile)

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S.119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials and County Staff are kept as public
records. Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address,
may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.