CHARLES-S-CHESTNUT Archives

Commission email for Charles S Chestnut

CHARLES-S-CHESTNUT@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Bill Radunovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Charles S Chestnut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:08:01 -0400
To the Commission,
I spoke briefly at today’s meeting during public comment time. Unfortunately, I used up my public comment time on the proposed election initiative, so wasn’t able to comment again on a non-agenda item. In listening to the remainder of the public comments, however, I want to express my opinion on what came up, where many people called in urging you to adopt a cease-fire resolution regarding the current conflict between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

I spoke about this in January, and I will simply reiterate my thoughts here: first of all, as a county commission, conflicts in the Mideast are far beyond the purview of this board. Your job is to oversee the workings of Alachua County, not to speak out on various global situations. There is a vast foreign policy apparatus at work within the US government regarding the Israeli-Hamas conflict. The thoughts and opinions of a board of county commissioners in the middle of Florida (the Heart of North Central Florida, I know) will do nothing and will have no effect on what the US government deals with the issues around the conflict and or on how the war proceeds.

But of course, the board could simply desire to weigh in on what is one of the most important issues of the day. This is understandable, so let me make my second point: to adopt a resolution calling for an Israeli ceasefire is morally indefensible. The ceasefire is touted by its supporters as simply asking for peace, asking that innocent lives be spared the horrors of the war. I, too, would prefer that all innocent civilians be spared harm. But while it seems on the surface that a call for a ceasefire is merely a call for peace, it is, in fact, not that at all. Adopting a ceasefire resolution that only discusses the actions of Israel without mentioning the role of Hamas in starting the current conflict, or the role of Hamas plays in the destruction of Gaza’s health care system, where its fighters hide in hospitals IN ORDER TO DRAW ISRAELI FIRE, is to buy into pro-Hamas talking points.

Finally, while I know you hear from many supporters of such resolutions, you don’t hear as much from those who are opposed, as was obvious in today’s comments. But I can assure you that the constituency against this resolution is large. If you aren’t hearing from them, I think it’s because they simply don’t know that the discussion is still going on. If a resolution is adopted, however, they will come out in full force and they will be angry. So adopting such a resolution is not only morally indefensible, but it will create a backlash, to put it mildly, and will embroil the commission in argument and dissent far beyond anything you want to deal with. While the “heckler’s veto” should not be a guide to one’s actions, I’m simply asking you to consider the viewpoints and feelings of those who aren’t as organized as today’s callers. They are out there, and they have perspectives that should be considered.

For all these reasons, I’m imploring you to simply not move forward with any ceasefire resolutions. Someday — hopefully sooner rather than later — this war will end, and with it, the calls for a ceasefire. Adopting a ceasefire resolution based on how things look now might be politically expedient today, but could look very different, and much worse, in the future.

Thank you again for your service to the community.

Bill Radunovich