KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Meg Niederhofer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:23:22 -0500
My property is less than 1/2 mile from  the SE Landfill owned by Paul and Joni Florence, which they manage with their daughter Holly.  Our neighborhood was so grateful when the Florences purchased the property from the Feagles.  They transformed just about everything, changing it from a community detriment and environmental hazard to a local business that cares about doing a top-notch job in every respect.

I won't go into the details of all the Florence's have done (recycling, monitoring run-off, establishing a transfer station on Hawthorne Rd), because I trust County staff will give you a clear picture.

I hope you will vote yes to allow the renewal of their Special Use Permit, so they can continue to take care of this property according to the most up-to-date best practices.

And I will mention that when I was volunteering with Helping Hands, one woman did own a home that was uninhabitable in Alachua County.  Her neighbors complained to Code Enforcement, and she was in danger of losing the property before she could get back on her feet.  Other homeless women joined AC Codes Officer Diana Osborne and myself in putting the property into acceptable order so the complaint was withdrawn.  Paul Florence let us have the use of a dumpster, which made everything possible!  It was a donation for the betterment of our community.  This happens often.  They are generous.

It just doesn't seem right for the Sierra Club to gang up on a local business who does so much good.  I've tried to talk with them as individuals, and some seemed oto understand, but there is a faction that thinks this is a racial justice issue.  I don't think you will find neighbors who agree with that.  Evelyn Foxx and I went and talked with many of them.

So I hope you will consider my perspective as you deliberate this matter.  Thank you for reading ths and all you do on behalf of all of the residents of Alachua County.

If you have questions for me, please contact me.

Meg Niederhofer
352-317-2567

Sent from my iPhone