KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Nancy Deren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2023 22:29:38 -0500
Dear Commissioners,

I urge your strong support for development of our proposed local meat processing plant for multiple reasons.

Rebuilding local processing infrastructure and capacity has been identified from local to national level as a key component of rebuilding a resilient, economically vibrant, ecologically healing, just, safe and transparent local food system that supports farmers, workers, eaters, and our land and water.

Having a local meat processing facility  creates markets for our local farmers that build economic strength throughout both rural and urban parts of our county. It levels the playing field for small and mid sized farmers.
Short supply chains are transparent and environmentally beneficial
It creates opportunities for skilled jobs, workforce development and a whole array of food oriented economic development.
We gain control of safety, transparency and proper working conditions, humane treatment of animals, and clean, healthy local  food
We break the domination of the horrific industrial factory farm system that exploits and abuses people, animals and our lands and needs to stop.

We become more resilient — do you remember who fed us during the early months of covid? It was NOT the industrial food system— it was our local farmers and ranchers. We had better stand up for keeping them in business if we want to secure food access and sovereignty.
It promotes economic justice for small producers who currently are forced to sell to the feedlot markets, and take whatever price is given.

I want to know where my food comes from, what it ate, and how it was treated.  I want to see our local farmers be able to not just struggle to stay afloat, but thrive and provide nutrient dense, safe high quality meats, vegetables, fruits etc — they have to be able to do well economically in order to afford to be the best stewards not only their animals and crops, but of our soil, water, pollinators , birds etc—

Money, both public and private, from the federal government on down,   is pouring into development of local meat processing and building local markets that can compete with the bullies of the industrial meat system.
I am proud that we in Alachua County are positioning ourselves to receive some of that funding, and  build a facility and programs that can be a model of high standards and humane conditions for others around the state and country.
Please support this important project.

Thank you
In community
Nancy Deren