KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Shellie Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2022 12:33:07 -0400
Hello,
As you know, the City of High Springs will double in population with the new development of Bridlewood alone. There are 4 other developments but none to this scale. While the citizens are vehemently opposed to this 2000+ homes, 200+ condos on 768 acres, the city manager is working with the developer get this passed under the threat of lawsuits, or so we are being told this at the commission mtgs. This Thursday was to be the final vote on this development, however, one commissioner will not be in attendance so the city manger, at the request of the developer, will ask for the vote to be moved to a later date. The city PIO  confirmed this news on the vote on Saturday. At least one commissioner had no idea about moving the vote when she picked up her agenda packet on Thursday, and the city is closed on Friday. (I find this extremely unpalatable as I called the City to have the commissioner mtg moved during the week of Hurricane Ian and was told no because the agenda was set.)

 The citizens of High Springs are not opposed to sustainable growth. Let me repeat: sustainable growth.  Four new developments are in play with no infrastructure in place to support these new developments. The sewer lift station is currently at capacity)although the manager is writing a grant that can add 500 homes to sewer), the High Springs school is at 105% capacity in some grades, kids are now sitting on floors. The city manager stated that kids could be bussed to Gainesville. Huh?

Now to the point of my email. With no infrastructure in place, let’s turn to the roads. The city manager said that the county is responsible and she didn’t have any information. So, what are the County plans to address the road infrastructure for the following:

1. Saddlewood (NW 142nd Ave off of SR 45) with 30 homes. Entering off of NW 142 Ave that is a single lane chip seal road that dead-ends into a dirt road (NW 214). (On agenda now)

2. Bridlewood (behind Tillman Acres), 2000+ development off of SR 45 which is a 2 lane road. A cut thru is slated for two single lane chip seal roads. The developer promised tge residents of Tillman Acres that he eoukd nit cut thru thei streets. Final vote supposed to be on Thursday unless city commission votes to move it, but manger recommended to proceed.

3. High Springs Villas. 44 units in 11 buildings on Railroad Ave, a single lane chip seal road. (Requesting rezoning now with city manager approval.)

Again, the citizens are begging for infrastructure to be in place before building  begins. The roads are getting punted to the County, so can you please let me know what are your plans to widen the chip seal roads given the increase in traffic? Currently, High Springs has two traffic lights. From NW202 it takes me 40 minutes to travel 2.5 miles to get to I 75 (coming down 441) during the week.

Thank you,
Shellie Leonard
High Springs

Under Florida law, all information, including e-mail, written letters, documents and phone messages, sent to the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners is subject to Public Records law. This includes the sender's e-mail address, home address or phone number if shown in the message, the content of the message and any associated attachments to the mail. Also please be aware that electronic correspondence (e-mail) is made available on the Commission's public archive site immediately upon being sent.

-Shellie Leonard