KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Teresa Bruckner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:17:51 -0500

Commissioners,
Since the Four Creeks Preserve is jointly managed by both City and
County, I write to you all with my concerns.

My husband and I visited the park this past week, and though we
understood from the park’s website that there was no parking
available, we were disappointed by what we saw and would like the
Commissioners to take action.

We thought that the houses along that end of 37th Street were actually
facing 37th Street and so the folks who live there might be concerned
about having visitors to the preserve park right in front of their
houses.  What we saw, however, was that the back yards of those houses
with their wooden fences face 37th Street.  There is no way visitors
parking on the very generous easement of the street would be visible
or intrusive to the residents of that neighborhood.

Everyone in the county gave money to purchase that property, and, as
it is now, the residents of those adjacent neighborhoods have a very
nice private park.  This is intolerable.  It reminds me too much of
the debacle surrounding Barr Hammock when the resident of houses which
abut that property complained to the Commission that their so-called
“right of enjoyment” was being breached by hikers.  Fortunately, the
County Commission denounced that claim and the park is rightly open to
all.

How long do you think citizens will be willing to give tax money to
Wild Spaces, Public Places if those wild spaces are not really open to
the public?  Until a parking lot can be built, we request that the
proper authority remove the numerous No Parking signs at the end of
37th Street so that all citizens can enjoy the park we all purchased.

Teresa Bruckner
5126 NW 26 Place
Gainesville, FL  32606