KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2023 21:16:15 -0500
From:
Nancy Deren <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Dear Commissioners,

I can’t attend the Tuesday meeting or comment time, so please accept my comments on Item 23-0297, Ability Housing Dogwood Village Project

I urge you to vote to restore funding and support for this well planned workforce housing development.
This is workforce housing— so critically needed in our county. Even working 2 or 3 jobs, or having a professional job that is low paying, doesn’t guarantee the ability to afford energy efficient, safe good quality, affordable housing. Teachers, foresters, food service, — the list of jobs in our county that pay wages that would qualify people who hold professional degrees as well as “essential workers”, is a long one.

This project follows principles of social housing, a model that is far more common in Europe— Vienna Austria is often an example of housing that is attractive to people across a spectrum of low-middle incomes, so works far better at actually resulting in quality,  affordable housing for so many low/moderate income workers, and fosters mixed socio-economic neighborhoods. It is based on housing as a human need and right, rather than on market forces.

In addition, to pass up the amount of funding being offered, that we don’t have to repay, and trading that for lawsuits, and millions in damages makes absolutely no sense.

It’s vital that this development support community benefit, and is built with energy efficiency and health in mind— meaning NO natural gas appliances or heating. The threat to health and to global warming is too high— and prices are volatile and going up.  Electrification is the way to a renewable future, and will protect keeping people’s utility bills more manageable.

Do not pass up this opportunity. Please vote to support this project.
Thank you
In community,
Nancy Deren