KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2021 20:18:03 +0000
Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for your email. Let me clarify.

 As you are well aware, your argument refers to the 'overall millage rates' yet I know you are also well aware that the  Board of County Commission does not control the millage rates for the School Board, Independent Special Districts, or any of the various nine Municipalities located within Alachua County. We can only control what we can control and to this end, the Board of County Commission has been very focused over the last five years on reducing the tax burden for the taxpayers of Alachua County by holding our Assessments and fees mostly constant while controlling the County's costs and focusing on reducing the Millage rate. I have appreciated your involvement with our budget process over the last few years and as I result I know you have seen these efforts first hand.

As a result of these efforts, in my opinion the Board has made a lot of progress in reducing the millage rate (and has reduced the millage rate in each of the last four years and has actually reduced the rate to the Rollback Rate in three of the last four years). Here are the millage rates for the last five fiscal years;

2017 - 8.9290
2018 - 8.4648 Rollback Rate
2019 - 8.2829 Rollback Rate
2020 - 8.2729
2021 - 7.8935 Rollback Rate

This represents a reduction of 1.0355 or 11.6% in the millage rate (from 8.9290 to 7.8935), I would challenge you to find another county in our State that has achieved this. In my discussions with my colleagues at the Florida Association of Counties I am not aware of another County that has achieved these results and over the last few years, most have been surprised at this progress. Perhaps I'm wrong, but in any event, these efforts should not be dismissed.

In comparison to the Counties that surround Alachua County, based on the 2019 data that you provided, of the seven counties that surround Alachua County, in 2019 Alachua County's millage rate was less than five (as is less than six of them as of 2021). This is also noteworthy when you consider the fact a large portion of our property is off the tax rolls and exempt from taxes due to the University of Florida, Sante Fe and the various other government agencies that have tax exempt status.

The millage rates from the information you provided is below:

Marion - 4.42
Columbia - 8.015 (current rate as of 2021 is 9.0 mills, we are now less than them as Alachua County's 2021 millage rate is 7.8935)
Alachua - 8.2829
Levy - 9.0
Bradford - 9.1104
Gilcrest - 9.5
Putnam - 9.5946
Union - 10.00

Finally, when you compare us to Leon County, who I would argue is the most comparable in size and make up (due to a similar amount tax exempt property off the tax rolls with Florida A&M and Florida State), we have made a lot of progress over the last five years and compare quite well. Please see below;

Leon County Millage Rate 2017 - 8.3144 (lower than Alachua County's 8.9290)
Leon County Millage Rate 2021 - 8.3144 (HIGHER than Alachua County's 7.8935)

I hope this information helps put my comments in perspective, I'll chat with you later.

Best Regards,

Ken

Ken Cornell
County Commissioner
Board of County Commissioners
12 SE 1st ST • Gainesville • FL • 32601
 • 352-281-4000 (mobile)

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S.119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials and County Staff are kept as public
records. Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address,
may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.