MARIHELEN-WHEELER Archives

Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler

MARIHELEN-WHEELER@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Peggy Wertenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:55:54 -0500
Dear Alachua County Commission,

I am writing to express my strong opposition to the proposed ceasefire resolution currently under consideration. This resolution is deeply flawed and biased against Israel. I firmly believe it does not represent the views of a significant portion of Alachua County and Florida residents.

My primary concern is the resolution's one-sided approach to the complex and tragic conflict between Israel and its neighbors. It fails to acknowledge the ongoing terrorist attacks perpetrated against Israeli civilians by Hamas and other militant groups. By solely focusing on Israel's actions, the resolution paints an incomplete and misleading picture that demonizes Israel and diminishes the very real security threats it faces.

The proposed resolution is void or unclear regarding the following three vital points:

1) A call for the immediate release of all the hostages being held.

2) Condemnation of Hamas and their horrific, murderous attack in Israel on October 7 including gender based, violent sexual assaults and barbarism against innocents, both young and old from numerous nationalities.

3) That Hamas, a terrorist organization, should disarm and surrender.
Furthermore, I vehemently disagree with the assertion that JVP speaks for the Jewish community of Alachua County. This organization has a long history of anti-Israel activism and rhetoric. Its views do not represent the diverse perspectives held by Jews in our community, many of whom support Israel's right to defend itself against those who seek its destruction.

Therefore, I urge you to reject this biased and divisive resolution.

Sincerely,

Peggy W. Benarroch