MARIHELEN-WHEELER Archives

Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler

MARIHELEN-WHEELER@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Mike Sustana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:37:17 -0400

Sent from my iPad. Mrs. Wheeler,
Thank you for your phone call! I know these times are so very stressful
to attempt to change things. I am not impatient & will try & explain how I got to
my position(s) I now hold. I will try & draft my thoughts and observations
regarding this topic. I will then print the pages & send you a hard copy small booklet.
Today I will give a short description of how things started to roll down hill
for OC ACAS & TNR & RTF.
I believe it was 2019. Fall. Some horrid human dumped out 4 adorable tabby cats
behind Auto Parts in Winn Dixie center. They were 6-8 weeks old. I called Michelle @ OC. No.2 in charge. I asked for help,but was told that if they were
3 mo. old they would be treated & returned to their “ home”. I could not believe what I heard & protested the definition of “ home” stating they were discarded!
I was met with staunch “ that’s their home!” I picked up all the kittens & took to a vet for adoption. & not bragging all kittens or cats taken to vet were started out with $100.00 donated per each.
All these were adopted in no time. They had BIG personality & the best guy was named Snickers.
Sometime before that when Shaye Olmsted was director of OC . I was asked to
return a cat to Alachua since I was going “ that way”.  Trying to please I did as asked , unwittingly participating in a RTF. The cat had come from the subdivision up behind Publix. When I released the cat, he looked @ me with huh? what? why?
It bothers me to this day. Driving off was painful. That was my first & last participation in RTF. The RTF plan was not transparent & I think kept “ quiet “.

Thanks so much for your courtesy & listening.
I get verbose trying to explain & tend to run on!

Mike Sustana