MARIHELEN-WHEELER Archives

Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler

MARIHELEN-WHEELER@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2023 20:18:12 -0400
From:
Julianne Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Good evening,
I understand that you will be meeting tomorrow to discuss the matter of
homeless programs’ funding.
Our community is lucky to have an organization such as GRACE that helps so
many. GRACE has already had to stop their street outreach team and decrease
their shelter by 10 beds.
While GRACE is on a mission to end homelessness, we are nowhere near to an
end. Therefore the services which GRACE provides are needed in our
community.
Many people come to GRACE and find the assistance they need on their
campus. But many other people do not come to GRACE for the services they
need, whether it be because they are unaware of GRACE or incapable of
making it there. Whatever the reason, the street outreach is able to close
that gap.  The outreach team gives food and medications to the elderly, and
bus tickets to help people who are stranded here get back to their own
communities and so much more. Not to mention, they give cold beverages
to individuals which has been very important during these record
breaking heat waves. The amount of lives they have saved is
innumerable!
Cutting the street outreach services will technically save our region
$350,000 but in reality, will cost our region money.
GRACE is a great representation of our community- compassionate,
collaborative and innovative. They work hard to make sure that they
are making the most impact that they can in this community. To cut
their street outreach funding would be a disservice to our community
and an awful representation of what Greater Gainesville is about. I
hope that you take this thoughts into consideration.

Thank you,
Julianne Raymond Flinchum
(352)727.8265