MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Nancy deren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 17:29:59 -0400

Dear Commissioners,

Tomorrow, you will be considering whether to adopt a Resolution ( 21-0323), in support of a National Infrastructure Bank.

I urge your support, and your support of Commissioner Alford’s version of this Resolution, since it is more comprehensive in saying why we support this, and is  closely aligned with county goals and commitment to fair wages and equity.

As the American Society of Civil Engineers has considered 17 different categories of Infrastructure in their just released 2021 Report Card, and seeing how many of those categories pertain to major needs and issues we have here, from broadband, to wastewater and stormwater, to schools, and beyond, in addition  to the traditional concerns about roads, bridges and rail, it makes sense to call for a comprehensive package.

For the first time in over 40 years, since before my children were born, it is so exciting to see the Biden administration putting forward proposals to invest in our people, our communities, the health and well being of our children and ecological systems — our rural areas and small towns etc etc — proposals  that will benefit the 80-90% of our population and our economy left behind for so long.

It would actually provide the funding and support for local governments to accomplish the myriad responsibilities placed ever more heavily on their shoulders.

The one change I would offer that you might consider making, is to direct the Clerk to also transmit this Resolution to the Secretary of Transportation and to the Transportation committees in Congress, as well as any other most relevant committees.

Thank you
In community
Nancy Deren