MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:47:29 -0400

Anna Prizzia,

We want to express our concern over an incident at the 441 Farmers
Market on March 6th.  Some inspectors from the state and federal
government came to the market and told some of the small farmers they
would have to close down if they didn't meet some kind of regulation.
According to  the small farmers we know they have met the regulations
and asked the inspector to show them where this regulation is.  She
wouldn't or couldn't do that.  This seems like undue harassment to us.
We support the small farmers in this area and have purchased many
products from them without any danger to our health. We hope you would
support these small farmers in  some way and possibly get the inspector
off their backs.  If we can do something else to support you and the
small farmers please let us know.

Sincerely,

Doug Dyer

Anna Prizzia,

My husband and I have been supporting local organic and regenerative
farms in Alachua and neighboring counties for more than 25years.  We
were disappointed when the Wednesday downtown market closed but in order
to continue to get the highest quality products we chose to attend the
Saturday 441 Farmers Mkt and have been doing so consistently as that is
the primary source for the food we consume.

We have watched the Woods of the Old Fashioned Farmstead create a
wonderful farm that is helping to regenerate the soil while using the
healthiest practices for their animals.  Over the several years we have
known them as neighbors we've observed how diligently and ethically they
operate the farm with utmost concern for the welfare of the surrounding
community as well as the animals they are raising.

Therefore it was with dismay that we saw them being publicly questioned
in front of their carefully and painstakingly built customer base.  That
can definitely unnecessarily undermine their hard work over the last few
years.

We know this may well be the beginning of an ongoing campaign by
legislators who are indebted to or courting big agriculture companies to
continue to undermine small, local, organic, and regenerative farms that
do their best to supply our community with the best products available.
We know you will do your utmost to support them and ask that you reach
out to us if you need more in the way of our testimonials and support.

All the best,

Susanne Setuh Hesse