MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Bill Radunovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:58:16 -0400
To the Board,
I recently graduated as a part this year’s Citizens Academy and I am writing to urge you to please, as you go through this year’s budget process, make room and provide the necessary funding for an Advanced Citizens Academy class. I know that such classes have taken place in the past. Should one be made available, I would make every effort to be a part of an advanced class and I believe that many of my classmates this year would as well.

My experience in this year’s Citizen Academy, and I’m willing to venture, the experience of many of my classmates, was amazing. As a political science PhD, I was probably more familiar with local government than most of my classmates. I knew about block grants and TANF, and the way power (and responsibility) have devolved down to the local level. But that didn’t prepare me for seeing the realities of what county employees DO every single day, and how the different departments work together to produce the best possible outcomes for citizen, given all the constraints they face. It was more than eye-opening; it was truly enlightening.

In fact, the class is so good that I wish every citizen of Alachua County could take it. But I realize that doing that would take up so much time that it would leave the county employees unable to do the jobs they’re talking about to Citizen Academy classes! So I realize that it has to remain limited. But if it could be expanded just a little — maybe 2 classes per year, along with an annual or even bi-annual Advanced Class — I believe you would go a long way towards ameliorating some of the distrust and dislike of local government.

Lastly, the work Donna Bradbrook did in putting on this class was impeccable. She was on time with everything, had everything scheduled properly and completely, and she kept things moving so that we could cover all areas of county government as thoroughly as needed. There was never a time when we were confused about what was coming next, there was never a meeting that didn’t have all necessary parking instructions (with maps!), and there was never a time when the pacing of the presentations was anything other than what felt necessary. She was simply first-rate and deserves to be recognized as such.

Anyways, fund the Advanced class!

Thank you.

Bill Radunovich