KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
L McGaughran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2023 23:33:33 -0500
Thank you for moving forward with discussing the ceasefire in Gaza resolution. Hundreds of people are dying every day there and thousands of children have died since October 7 in Gaza with weapons and munitions funded/provided by the United States.

The world has to take action to protect civilians. So I appreciate your attention to this matter which affects the entire world and the security of both the United States and Israel, and thereby Gainesville, Florida, as well, which is a part of the United States.

If we take actions abroad that infuriate and traumatize large portions of the world and large populations such as the Muslim world while we fund the bombing obliteration of thousands of Muslim civilians, it puts our security at risk.

 Besides moral risk of sitting by while people are dying due to our funding it, but it puts the country at risk of blowback retaliation.

Revenge for US aggression is the sort of reason that Bin Laden gave for his activities destroying the World Trade Center. The United States has bombed and tortured Muslims in the past including their hospitals in Iraq.

There is a history of abuse of Muslim culture by our country and this additional contribution to a genocide of a Muslim population is unthinkable.

Looking the other way  is not going to help how the world regards to the United States and we are part of that country. Our own city's security is at risk too. These foreign countries create a stockpile of weapons to protect themselves with.

Anything Gainesville can do to help world peace would be appreciated.  Discussing a resolution is a good thing.

I live in Alachua county in the Kanapaha area west of Gainesville city limits.

Sent by mobile phone