KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Stafford Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:22:50 +0000
Hey, so, as we discussed, apparently, on June 26th (I think is when it was), you guys created a new franchise agreement, authorizing only one solid waste provider to collect garbage, even for commercial properties that had a contract with another provider.

Apparently, this becomes effective as of Oct 1st.   I found out about it because somebody from GFL walked into my office today with a rate sheet and a letter from Alachua County Solid Waste saying that I had no choice but to sign a new agreement, right now.

1.  Business owners can no longer choose who their service provider is?  Up until now, we had free market choice, and my office complex has a 3 year contract with Republican Waste.

2.  If my office complex (which is in the unincorporated area) indeed has no choice, are we automatically exempted from our current 3 year contract.  Was that part of the franchise agreement, that contracted waste haulers can't go back to their customers for the remainder amount of the contract?

3.  I missed this.  Our property management company missed this.  How many other people did?  How did the county not do a proper notification campaign to commercial property owners?

Here is a link to the notice from the county:
https://alachuacounty.us/news/Article/Pages/Alachua-County-Exclusive-Solid-Waste-Franchise-Agreement.aspx

Stafford