KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Kathleen Ruppert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:17:07 -0400

 Good afternoon.

The citizens of Alachua County are fortunate to live and work in a caring community where the lives and welfare of both humans and animals are valued. The lack of trust in promises made, misinformation given, and non-responsiveness to numerous emails and phone calls all lead to the need for a citizens review of ACAS. More specifically, from my interaction, a review of the field operations unit in particular.

Adequate and thorough reporting of investigations is crucial to any organization looking to promote the well being and health of both pet owners and the animals under their care. As I sent the commissioners on April 18, 2021, prior to the deep dive into Animal Services on April 20th, the current reporting form, i.e., activity card, appears woefully inadequate and lacks any degree of thoroughness, specificity, or accountability.

Although the need to address the activity card has been discussed for several years with Mr. Williams, according to numerous sources, it doesn’t appear that even an attempt has been made to take any action. Honestly, I at first did not believe that these concerns have been ignored for so long. So, I personally attended meetings on January 15th, February 22nd, and March 31st of this year with Mr. Lowe or Mr. Smart or both along with other individuals. At each meeting the activity card was discussed. During the very first meeting, Mr. Lowe said that other municipalities would probably not want to share their reporting form. I contacted Animal Services in both Citrus and Hillsborough counties. Hillsborough County utilizes a Case Documentation and Report form that I have attached to this email.

Mr. Lowe, when I inquired at the March 31st meeting about the status of his findings regarding what other counties/municipalities are doing regarding field services’ reports, stated that they “were working on it.”  Note that both Alachua and Hillsborough counties use the same software in their Animal Services Department (I.e., Chameleon).

I sent the meeting minutes from March 31st out on April 12th. On April 28th I emailed Mr. Lowe requesting an update regarding the Activity Card. I included the information/guidelines from Hillsborough County that are included in this email. No response. I sent a follow-up email to Mr. Lowe on May 10th requesting an update. No response. It is now June 1st and about 18 weeks (four and a half months) from the initial inquiry, with still no response.

At the conclusion of your deep dive meeting of Animal Services it was mentioned the need for ACAS to work with community members. I believe Mr. Williams stated that he would “not be dictated to.” Is that the issue? Input and review is neither encouraged or welcomed? Honestly, that’s how it appears to me. Following 35+ years in education I know there is always room for improvement and the more you listen, the more you learn and adapt.

According to the ACAS website, the mission of ACAS is to promote public safety for the welfare of citizens and animals. Isn’t it about time for the BOCC to put together an independent special study group or committee to review this situation?

Please share your thoughts with me by June 15th. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kathleen Ruppert