KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Tamara Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:59:19 -0500
Ms. Lieberman,
During the Rural Concerns Advisory Committee, (RCAC), meeting of 114-2023, Mr. McLendon gave a presentation. I was unable to access the board meeting via the Zoom option do to program error, so I present my questions to you now.
1. Mr. McLendon stated these facilities “are being built all over the country”. I request the locations of the facilities he is referencing.
2. Mr. McLendon noted the high prices of eggs and meat as a basis for the need for this facility. How would this facility directly affect the prices of these products for the residents of Alachua County?
3. At what meeting did the BOCC vote to direct you, or staff to present to the RCAC regarding this facility, and to seek the Committee’s advisory position?
4. A question was asked form a board member which was not answered; What direct benefits would the ranchers of Alachua County receive from the building of this facility, such as reduced costs for processing and/or priority given for services?
5. It was stated currently ranchers are selling their products at farmers markets illegally do to lack of USDA inspections. What additional regulations would be required of these producers if they are  under the federal guidelines? Such as cooling requirements for transport of product.
I believe it was noted that additional permitting would be necessary to transport meat products.
6. Mr. McLendon stated this would be a “regional facility”, and would be self sustaining. What are the prices to be paid for processing by ranchers of Alachua County versus  those ranchers in the region?

Tamara Robbins

Sent from my iPad