KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Jamie Reeves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2020 03:44:47 -0400

Greetings,

In a study of abused women, over 80% said they would not call the police again because they were scared that their abuser would only get a "slap on the wrist," and that they would come back and hurt them. Seeing that abused women do not feel safe calling the police to help them escape situations of domestic violence, should we cater to these women and create a new task force? The answer is yes.

We need specialized teams to respond to issues of domestic violence, that are not police. Police simply do not have, and cannot receive the extensive, rigorous training that specialized experts on deescalating domestically violent situations and helping victims escape their abuser require. This takes years of training and education, it's one of many issues that police are simply not fit to handle, like they are expected to today. And I don't just want to see woman officers respond to these calls, because they are still police officers who are not fit to deal with these situations, in terms of the training and education they have.

Defunding the police is about more than the safety of our Black neighbors, which is absolutely vital in itself. It is about making women more safe by ensuring their issues are cared for in a specialized way by trained professionals.

Are you willing to help victims of domestic violence?

Thanks,
Jamie