KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
miki-jo castaldo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:31:17 -0500

ACBOC,

I know you are aware of the constant and excessive panhandling that occurs in our county.  Unfortunately, I do not have a solution.  However after my experience today I feel obligated as an Alachua County citizen to share my concerns for the people driving on our roads and the folks choosing to panhandle in our medians.

Today around 11:40am, my son and I were traveling eastbound on Newberry Road towards North Florida Regional Hospital for a doctor’s appointment.   My son is 16 years old and got his driver’s license two weeks ago.  I am comfortable with his driving skills.  He drove almost everyday while he was a permitted driver.  Today as he drove with me to his appointment he was placed in an extremely dangerous situation by one of our local panhandlers.  The gentleman asking for money, along with his shopping cart filled with his belongings, was partially in the left turn lane.  The area he was standing in is under construction and the median is gone. Orange cones are designating the place for a future median.  As you can imagine there is a lot going  on at this intersection. Thank goodness I was with my son to coach him through this situation.

(We were in the left turn lane near the Red Lobster restaurant , heading towards the doctors offices around NFRMC.)