MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Teresa Bruckner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2021 08:55:13 -0500

City and County Commissioners,
I wrote to you last week expressing concern that there is no parking
at some of our nature parks in both the City (Split Rock and Clear
Lake, for example) and County (Four Creeks).  You kindly requested
Charlie Houder to respond to my concerns in order to allay those
concerns. Houder wrote about Four Creeks: “staff proposed access at
the north terminus of NW 37th St. with a small vehicle parking area.
There was significant opposition to this from the adjoining
neighborhoods and ultimately the recreation plan was approved with
pedestrian and bicycle access only.”

This response reiterates the crux of my argument: if the neighbors are
loud enough, the Commissioners will yield.  I don’t think this is the
best way to serve all citizens.  Even the quiet ones deserve
legitimate access to public lands.

I live in the neighborhood sandwiched between Buchholz High and the
Boys and Girls Club on 51st Street.  During football season, it can
get pretty loud in my neighborhood and sometimes attendees at those
events leave garbage behind, and they don’t always obey the parking
restrictions.  But, putting up with those inconveniences is just part
of living in a civilized society because we all have to share limited
resources.

Citizens who are lucky enough to live next to one of the many nature
parks in the county also need to share with those of us who live
across town. (Visitors to nature parks will likely be less obtrusive
than football fans.)  As it is now, they basically have a publicly
funded private park.

Allowing on-street parking or easement parking is a cost-free solution
to this.  I strongly encourage both Commissions to act to help all
citizens—including mobility impaired citizens--enjoy the wonderful
parks we have.

I know you have many issues to attend to, and I appreciate your time.

Teresa Bruckner
5126 NW 26 Place
Gainesville FL