MARY-ALFORD Archives

Commission email for MARY ALFORD

MARY-ALFORD@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Paul Ortiz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for MARY ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2021 11:58:33 -0500

Dear Alachua County Board of Commissioners,

I am writing you to urge you to continue to support renters in our
county during these difficult times.

In my position at the University of Florida, I have talked with many
service workers, students and staff--many of whom are long-time
residents of Alachua County--who are in dire straits and unable to pay
their rent due to economic dislocations caused by the Global Pandemic.
As you know, infections rates are climbing again and negatively
effecting the economic outlook for Alachua County's working class
residents. Evictions in the middle of a pandemic are especially harmful
to renters and to the public health at large.

I urge you to do your utmost to direct federal and state resources to
assist renters for the duration of the Global Pandemic. Thank you for
your leadership and your compassion on this issue!

Sincerely Yours,

Paul Ortiz

Under Florida law, all information, including e-mail, written letters,
documents and phone messages, sent to the Alachua County Board of County
Commissioners is subject to Public Records law. This includes the
sender's e-mail address, home address or phone number if shown in the
message, the content of the message and any associated attachments to
the mail. Also please be aware that electronic correspondence (e-mail)
is made available on the Commission's public archive site immediately
upon being sent.

--
Paul Ortiz
Director, Samuel Proctor Oral History Program

President, United Faculty of Florida-UF (FEA/NEA/AFT/AFL-CIO)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.uff-uf.org/about-uff-uf/__;!!LGX2LR-tWgttPq0!V37KmsyN47iakd99doPhK5v3e3-RGd8q8jls-NAovpGDdgQQKxgO31bQrIYDGs3zf3Q$

"People Power: History, Organizing and Larry Goodwyn's
Democratic Vision in the Twenty-First Century"
University Press of Florida
Available for Pre-Order
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://upf.com/book.asp?id=9780813066912__;!!LGX2LR-tWgttPq0!V37KmsyN47iakd99doPhK5v3e3-RGd8q8jls-NAovpGDdgQQKxgO31bQrIYDTfq3Mtk$

"Reparations for Black Americans in the 21st Century"
      Community Conversations
    Zora Neale Hurston Festival
         March 16, 2021
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://zorafestival.org/community-conversations/march-16/__;!!LGX2LR-tWgttPq0!V37KmsyN47iakd99doPhK5v3e3-RGd8q8jls-NAovpGDdgQQKxgO31bQrIYDFrjUtHY$