KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Ellen Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:26:01 -0400

Dear Commissioner Cornell

I’ve just read an exciting update from Whatcom County, Washington, [1] a small community with two large oil refineries that has recently adopted land use and environmental protection laws to protect the community from the risk of further expansion of these industries.

Fossil fuels are inherently dangerous to our communities. They risk spills, leaks, explosions, air and water pollution. And continued expansion of fossil fuel use is simply incompatible with a stable climate. It’s great to see local government leaders in Whatcom County doing something about it. It would be even better to see us taking similar action here in our community.

Stand.earth, one of the organizations that helped to develop the policies in Whatcom County, is now working to help more communities take similar action.

Through the SAFE Cities program, they are helping local governments adopt policies that phase out fossil fuels and fast track clean, more efficient energy solutions  – they even have resources specifically for elected officials available here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.stand.earth/SAFE-resources/resources-local-government-leaders__;!!LGX2LR-tWgttPq0!WSB70lvif-waIYXxa9HNAVOSONdvxbraPJIe0estA4F6RNMbnoVzMSP9JPdiJXr2HiS723w$

You can also join their network of elected officials and staff working to phase out fossil fuels by emailing [log in to unmask]

Not every community has an oil refinery, but every local government can take meaningful actions. Other communities are passing policies that stop fossil fuel expansion by limiting fossil fuel use in new building construction, banning new gas stations, electrifying public transit, and so much more.

It would mean a lot to me to know that our local government officials are ready to take the climate crisis and public health and safety issues seriously. Will you commit to passing SAFE City policies here in our community?

Respectfully,

Ellen Siegel, 326538360

[1] https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/28/washington-state-whatcom-county-ban-fossil-fuel-infrastructure__;!!LGX2LR-tWgttPq0!WSB70lvif-waIYXxa9HNAVOSONdvxbraPJIe0estA4F6RNMbnoVzMSP9JPdiJXr23i0qwcU$