KEN-CORNELL Archives

Commission email for Ken Cornell

KEN-CORNELL@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
"Sylvia E. Torres" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Ken Cornell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:59:34 +0000
**This email has been copied to all County Commissioners**

Chair and Ms. Robbins:

As you know, the proposed phosphate mine on the New River requires approvals from Bradford and Union County, the State, and the federal government.  So far, the proposed mine has not received any level of authorization.  The mining company and/or property owner has had preliminary discussions with the different regulatory bodies.  Alachua County, in anticipation of forthcoming applications for permits, retained Ed de la Parte, an attorney with extensive experience in the Florida phosphate mine permitting process.  Pursuant to our contract with Mr. de la Parte, he has assembled a team of experts to evaluate the potential impacts of the proposed mine on air, water and other natural resources. The team of experts have evaluated the preliminary mining applications submitted to the State and local governments and have reported preliminary findings to the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners.  Those experts have also met with and discussed their concerns with the state permitting agencies and stand ready to testify to deficiencies in the preliminary mining applications, if the permits are issued.

Since assembling the team of experts, Mr. de la Parte has continuously monitored the agencies to allow us to know if the applicant is having any progress on obtaining the federal, state, and local permits for the proposed mine.  To that end, Alachua County receives records from at least 5 state and local agencies, pursuant to public records requests.  At this point in the process, Mr. de la Parte and his team are attempting to influence the regulatory agencies' analysis of permit applications to achieve the best possible outcome to protect our natural resources.  In the event that a permit is issued, Mr. de la Parte is working to ensure that Alachua County will retains the right to challenge any deficient permit.

Additionally, Alachua County has provided resources to Union County to assist it in developing more clear protective standards in its comprehensive plan and land development code.  Our office is continuing to monitor Union County's subsequent Bert Harris litigation, which arose because of alleged impact on the mining properties, due to the more clear protective standards adopted by Union County.

Best,
Sylvia

Sylvia E. Torres, *
Alachua County
County Attorney
12 SE 1st Street • Gainesville • Florida • 32601
352-374-5218 (office) • 352-374-5216 (fax)

* Board Certified in City, County & Local Government Law

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S.119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials and County Staff are kept as public
records. Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address,
may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.