CHARLES-S-CHESTNUT Archives

Commission email for Charles S Chestnut

CHARLES-S-CHESTNUT@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

From:
Paul Kroeger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Commission email for Charles S Chestnut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2023 18:48:06 -0400
Dear Commissioners,

I am writing regarding the proposed development of the Lee family property on the west and east side of Parker Road.  We live just to the south of the proposed development and attended the recent public information session that was held at Terwilliger elementary school.  Unfortunately I found the session wanting and uninformative.

What we did glean is that there are two proposed development paths.  Our hope is that the “conservation plan” will come to fruition.  The last thing the Hickory Sink area and our water source needs is 4000 homes sitting on top of it.  I strongly encourage the county to do whatever it can to purchase and preserve the land as is.

Additionally, in my opinion the use of 500 acres for the proposed UF 36 hole golf course (east of Parker Road) would be a dramatic waste of water (using up to 1,000,000 gals/day per the SAP) and at best serve a very limited set of residents. Your own plans call for more county recreational facilities, but does Alachua county need a premier golf venue that will serve the few?  There are so many residential areas with limited access to parks due to development patterns - this golf course will do nothing to alleviate that and the water usage will be equivalent to 1000s of houses.  It is worth noting that as other golf courses have closed (e.g., WestEnd) this proposal wants to build another.  How does that make sense?

I’m a UF graduate (PhD, 1988) and I support my graduate school alma mater, but the existing UF golf course on campus has served the university and can continue to do so.  We need more small neighborhood parks not remote golf courses that will serve only those with extensive means.  Thanks in advance for your attention.

Kind regards,
Paul Kroeger, PhD.

13220 SW 83rd Lane
Archer, FL 32618