MARIHELEN-WHEELER Archives

Commission email for Marihelen-Wheeler

MARIHELEN-WHEELER@LISTSERV.ALACHUACOUNTY.US

Reply To:
Comission email for Marihelen-Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 12:15:07 -0500
Dear commissioners,

I have followed the discussion of the event center and I see commissioners taking two approaches that are difficult to reconcile when responsibly developing the best project for Alachua County. One prioritizes the location and one prioritizes the facilities.

If the goal is to develop a particular site, like Cabot-Koppers or the MLK Center area, then the type of facility should evolve out of the character of the location and surrounding area with few preconceived ideas in order to best enhance the community. If the goal is to build a defined facility, like a proposed combined convention center, concert venue, and regional indoor sports facility, then no restraints should be placed on locating the site that would give this large tax investment the best chances for success.

This is a significant investment of tax dollars. I ask that you expand the analysis of location, size, costs, and types of facilities. Define the scope of the project more clearly and decide if you want a specific facility or a specific location. Also look at different plans for operation and, when evaluating costs, consider future maintenance and all costs of development, including infrastructure upgrades, and any incentives for surrounding private development.

No matter how well-intentioned, the wrong type of facility or the wrong location will not only harm the potential of the project, but will permanently and negatively affect the surrounding areas. I don’t want to see considerable tax funding tied up for decades on a poorly planned event center when our community could have invested those same funds on other, smaller, less risky, and potentially more successful projects.

Sincerely,

Kristen Young